Catching Up

It has been nothing if not busy and laden with prayers, sadness, roller coaster of emotions and a few miracles.  I have been caught between taking care of myself and doing my job well. The past week it was added to making sure two families were cared for.

Last Monday I received a phone call that one of my congregation was having her baby. A moment of joy turned around as she had complications. Baby was fine, 7 lbs. 3 oz., 20″ beautiful baby girl. But momma was in ICU with bleeding. The decision was made to stay with that family for the crucial first 8 hours. While waiting with that family a phone call was received that a sweet precious woman from my other congregation had an aneurism and was being airlifted to DePaul.  Talk about being torn.

I stayed with the baby’s momma as the other woman was in surgery. After leaving one hospital in Hannibal, a babysitter was found, a Bible study was taught and at 7:30 p.m. we began the 90 minute drive to DePaul.  Arriving there I greeted the family, hugged them all and went back.  ICU’s are always difficult rooms to be in but also can be places where God’s presence is often fault.  God was here.  I always speak to the people as if they are awake as my belief they can hear me.  I spoke and than I prayed.  In the car on the way home I cried.  Got home at 11:30 and prayed until 1 p.m.

Wednesday was botox and steroids shots for myself. Appointment was at 11 a.m., so arrived an hour early to fill out paperwork. At noon was told to go have lunch and come back at 1 p.m. at 2 p.m. was taken to a room at 2:30 p.m. was taken to procedure room.  300 units of botox in my left calf, 100 units each in back and both sides. The needle was 7″ long and fortunately there is no feeling in the left calf. Sadly, that is not true of the left shoulder, it has feeling. Doctor had to go into the shoulder twice. It really hurt..and I mean it really did, to the point of queasy tummy and tears.  Pain meds and sleep were in order.

In the midst of all this phone calls and messages were being traded with both families. One was improving and the other had no hope of improving. Life support was taken off the sweet angel in DePaul. She passed to her Heavenly home at 2:15 p.m.

Thursday was writing and sending things to the secretary for worship and the newsletter.  Phone calls and texts were still going on, the momma was going back in for her 3rd surgery.  The other family was coming in to make arrangements.

I was running on fumes by the end of that day.  My thought was office time on Friday and prepping for sermon and funeral. But plans quickly change. The little momma was back into surgery with more bleeding.  A dear lady from the church came and got me and to Hannibal we went.  It was not looking good.. Plans were made to move her to Barnes-Jewish.  I was not able to go due to my limitations, which killed me. So my amazing folk stayed the night. I hit my knees (not literally) in prayer. Prayed and prayed until I dozed off at 3 a.m.

Saturday was on empty.

Sunday was busy: worship, worship, carry-on and movie and then hayride and hot dog roast. At first service at the country church the family caring for the baby brought her to church. She was held by our prayer warrior and by our 99 year old member. We gathered in a circle with baby, big brother, prayer warrior and caregiver in the center. We imagined mom, dad, and other brother there and we prayed.

On the drive from one church to another a call came in saying that the respirator was being removed in a few minutes. Service at the second service had the saint from that church’s family there and in a God wink moment, I was using one her devotions in that service.

During the movie a text was received that with the respirator removed she was responding. Woohoo!!
Today we drove down and saw her sitting with the bed propped up. She was talking. She was beautiful!!! It is still a long battle but it was a miracle.

I am very tired, missing my stamina. Worried I am not doing enough. I am cramping, tightening up and there is a lot of tone.  Praying a whole lot.



I am a wife, mother, and pastor. We moved from Bowling Green, Missouri to Idaho Falls in 2016. I am a native of Eastern Washington state. In 2013 I had 2 strokes in 8 days and this is my journey of faith, family and health. I believe no matter what happens in your life that God can use it for His glory.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s